Whatcha looking for?



Saturday, January 22, 2011

The Bbk Collection by Catherine Seixo


It is no secret that I have always been a little smitten with the French and their expert eye in the fashion world. I have French roots through my grandmother, and although it is distant, I like to channel them when I am making an attempt at sophistication. With all of the cold weather and dreariness of winter really settling in now, this past week I was very happy to get a breath of fresh air through the discovery of French designer Catherine Seixo and her beautiful clothing line for children.

Catherine is an architect and designer educated in Bordeaux and currently living in Begles, France. Her collection is entitled Bbk and is a wonderful combination of classical, elegant, and chic. Looking at the collection as a whole, the styles has roots in early-century children's clothing. This can be seen through the vintage fabric choices, classic forms, and sweet embellishments like buttons and bows. One of my favorite things about this collection is that Catherine makes matching bonnets and hats to go with much of her clothing:


In a world of glitter and velour and bling and glam, I cannot tell you how refreshing it is for me to see such classic designs. If I were asked to picture chic little French children in my head, they would be wearing dresses like these. Especially the one with the cherries, it is my favorite of the collection.

Here are a couple more examples of the Bbk collection and their brilliant eye for pattern and color:


So, pretty much I was smitten with the clothing line right away. So then of course I decided to head over to the accessories. Firstly, the website is in French. It was fun for me to try and use my seven years of French I took in school to navigate around, but I eventually used a translator so I could see everything more quickly. But, it is fun to learn the French word for things like bibs: les bavoirs. Maybe I am a nerd, but I thought that was kinda neat. Anyway, Bbk also designs bags, shoes, bibs, stuffed animals, you name it. Here is my favorite bib and favorite bag:


The shape of the bib and that floral pattern on the bag are what get me. Definitely take a look at Catherine's work at www.bbkcreations.fr. Even the website design is vintage and eclectic, with old photos and maps. It really sets the atmosphere for the clothing, I can only imagine what the store itself looks like.

No comments:

Post a Comment